- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 115g butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 1/2 cup glucose syrup
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ~60 pitted dates
- First, take the time to open up each pitted date and split in half, and set aside on a baking tray.
- In a saucepan, stir together over medium heat the butter, evaporated milk, brown and white sugar, thickened cream and glucose syrup, until the butter has melted.
- Place in a candy thermometer and let cook until the temperature reaches 250F (note: this usually takes ~30 minutes).
- While cooking, place the walnuts into a plastic sandwich bag and roughly crush.
- Once the caramel reaches 250, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, then walnut pieces.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then pop on candy making gloves.
- Take a date half in one hand and grab some of the walnut caramel mixture in the other gloved hand, and press into the date half. Mould, then place back on the baking tray and repeat with the other dates.
- Let cool, then serve.
- Cook Time: 40 mins