If a miniature dragon in a wizarding vending machine was to roast nuts and pop them out to you, this is what the nuts would taste like.
Weasleys’ Dragon Roasted Nuts was a coin machine outside the Weasley store found on Diagon Alley. How cute is that! The dragon roasted chestnuts, but since they weren’t easily available (both the dragon and the chestnuts) when I went to the shops, we opted for almonds roasted in our oven. This sweet concept was found in the Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie, but wasn’t mentioned in the book.
The packaging was designed based off of the machine seen at The Making of Harry Potter, and printed onto brown paper sandwich bags. I’ve turned the design upside down (I’ve make the design available to download for free at the bottom of this page), as I printed with the bottom of the bag first. I found the printer could grab hold of the bag’s bottom better than the top (because it could open and tear).
The nuts recipe is a mix of spices, but with a good kick of cayenne and chilli. The chilli will add that ‘heat’, like a dragon has recently roasted them.Print
Harry Potter; Weasleys’ Dragon Roasted Nuts
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 egg white
- Preheat your oven to 250F/120C.
- On a baking tray, lay out a sheet of baking paper on top (or oil it. The almonds can really stick!)
- In one bowl, mix together your spices, sugar and salt.
- In another bowl, beat the egg white a few times.
- Add the almonds to the egg white, and using a fork, stir until all the almonds are coated.
- Transfer the almonds to the spice mix. I’d transfer using my clean hands, as I often have leftover egg white in the bowl.
- Using a fork, stir the almonds in the spice mix until fully coated.
- Transfer the coated almonds to the baking tray, and spread the almonds out, so they’re not overlapping each other.
- Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. You can cook them at a higher temperature, but only if you’re watching them closely. They burn easily!
recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s ‘Spiced Nuts’ found on FoodNetwork.com
Weasleys Dragon Roasted Nuts Printable Bag Design (844 downloads)
Love Harry Potter? Don’t miss these other recipes.