‘ “Robber steak”- bits of bacon, onion, and beef, seasoned with red pepper, and strung on sticks, and roasted over the fire, in simple style of the London cat’s meat!’
-Dracula, Bram Stoker
I was quite surprised to open Dracula and find such descriptive food passages. It’s only at the beginning of the book, as part of setting the scene of Romania, but it’s exciting to find food you can recreate authentically. Use this recipe as your main meal for your Dracula themed dinner party. For something so simple, this is incredibly delicious. But then again peasant food usually is.
- 2sp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic
- 1 piece steak
- 4 pieces bacon
- ½ onion, quartered and layers pulled apart
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cut steak into bite sized cubes and the bacon into squares.
- On skewers, thread the meat and onion on, alternating steak, 2 squares of bacon and 2 pieces of onion layers.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, paprika and garlic, then rub onto the skewered meats with your fingers.
- Cook for 35 minutes in the oven on grill.