Last Updated on March 20, 2019
“Harry didn’t enjoy his shepherd’s pie as much as he’d thought.”
-Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, J.K. Rowling
A comforting meal that would have originally been made to use up ingredients, the shepherd’s pie is an easy dish to whip up mid-week or as a dish for a Harry Potter party.
If you’re wanting to make shepherd’s pie into a vegetarian dish, replace the lamb mince with lentils and beef stock with vegetable stock. You can also toss in other vegetables including extra carrots, celery, peas etc. If you’re changing the lamb to beef, it becomes cottage pie.
- 1kg mashed potatoes
- 500g lamb mince
- ½ brown onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- ~1-2 tbsp of leaves from fresh rosemary sprigs
- ¼ cup mushroom ketchup or Worcheshire sauce
- In a frying pan or large saucepan, pour in a bit of oil, then saute the onion and garlic until the onion is semi-transparent.
- Add in the lamb mince and stir until completely browned.
- Add the rosemary leaves, beef stock, mushroom sauce, and carrots, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a casserole dish, spread a layer of mashed potato on the bottom.
- Pour in the lamb mince mixture, then thickly layer the rest of the mashed potato on top.
- Place dabs of butter on top, and place in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
Other main meals from Harry Potter