- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1.5 cups milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tbsp minced ginger
- pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- In a saucepan, mix together half the thickened cream, half the milk, white sugar, 2 tbsp of ginger and the pinch of salt.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and let stand so the ginger infuses with the milk.
- After an hour, turn the stove back on and gently reheat the milk mixture.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and keep whisking until the mixture thickens (about 10 minutes). Don’t let the mixture heat up too much though, as it’ll cook the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into a chilled bowl, either a metal mixing bowl that’s been placed in the freezer in advance or a bowl placed in ice water. Stir to let bring the temperature of the mixture down quickly.
- Either follow your ice cream maker instructions or place the bowl in the freezer, bringing out to stir every 10 minutes until the mixture is too thick.
- Pour into an ice cream container or bread loaf pan (or baking paper laid over top) and freeze for 24 hours.
- Cook Time: 15 mins