“You must have just a little [ginger ice cream], Henry,” Hammond said. “It’s made with fresh ginger, from the eastern part of the island.”
-Jurassic Park, Michael Crichton
People have different ways of getting swept up into the excitement of a movie arriving in cinemas. For me, if it’s inspired by a book, I’m back reading the series, pulling out all the food mentioned. While Jurassic World; Fallen Kingdom doesn’t have a novel behind it, the original movie series (Jurassic Park and The Lost World) are based on novels by Michael Crichton.
Now, there’s plenty of food to choose from in both Jurassic Park and The Lost World. However, since most of you are enjoying the summer months, it seemed fitting to make ginger ice cream.
If you don’t have time to make ginger ice cream from scratch, you could try stirring a ginger syrup into a store-bought vanilla ice cream. Alternatively you could stir in minced ginger or chopped up candied ginger. So many options! I’ve linked to Ginger People products on Amazon since it’s what I now keep in my cupboard (they sent me products a few years ago, and I got hooked).
For this recipe, we’re infusing minced ginger to make a gingery sweet ice cream base, then adding minced ginger again at the end to put some of that ginger heat back in.
Ginger Ice Cream | Jurassic Park
- Total Time: 15 mins
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1.5 cups milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 4 tbsp minced ginger
- pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- In a saucepan, mix together half the thickened cream, half the milk, white sugar, 2 tbsp of ginger and the pinch of salt.
- Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a simmer.
- Turn off the heat and let stand so the ginger infuses with the milk.
- After an hour, turn the stove back on and gently reheat the milk mixture.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and keep whisking until the mixture thickens (about 10 minutes). Don’t let the mixture heat up too much though, as it’ll cook the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into a chilled bowl, either a metal mixing bowl that’s been placed in the freezer in advance or a bowl placed in ice water. Stir to let bring the temperature of the mixture down quickly.
- Either follow your ice cream maker instructions or place the bowl in the freezer, bringing out to stir every 10 minutes until the mixture is too thick.
- Pour into an ice cream container or bread loaf pan (or baking paper laid over top) and freeze for 24 hours.
- Cook Time: 15 mins
Love Jurassic Park? Don’t miss our party guide, complete with the menus from the novels –> Jurassic Park and The Lost World Party Checklist and Menu
You’ll also want to add the banana daiquiri to your Jurassic Park party menu, also mentioned in the original novel: Banana Daiquiri