Last Updated on March 10, 2019
Nothing finishes a summer dinner off better than ice cream. And nothing suits a pirate party more than a rum and raisin coconut ice cream. This recipe only uses coconut milk, so is suitable for dairy free guests. In terms of timing, you can make this recipe a few days before the party.
- ⅓ cup spiced rum
- pinch of salt
- 2 ½ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, whisked
- In a saucepan, stir together the milk, rum, salt and sugar.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, let sit for 30 seconds, and then stir in the whisked egg yolks (make sure you stir as you pour).
- Return to a low heat for 5 minutes, making sure it never gets above a low simmer.
- Stir in raisins and freeze according to your ice cream maker.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, you can freeze in a metal container. An hour in, I like to remove and scoop into a mixer for a minute to keep it light, before returning to metal bowl and returning to freezer.