I seem to be on a role with the whole Snow White gig. And like the previous, this began as a cocktail, but, in all fairness, I’m a better cake baker than I am a bartender.
Aaaand, a huntsman is more likely to drink his whiskey neat rather than mixed with fruits and herbs. Just as he’s more likely to whip something up over a fire than in an oven.
This is less Disney, more, hello Mr Tall and Rugged.
The thyme adds an earthiness with the orange balancing it with its citrus freshness, while the smokiness is subtle yet adds a nice depth.
- 1½ cups gf self raising flour
- ½ cup of gf plain flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 150g of softened butter
- ¾ cup of milk
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tbsp washed fresh thyme.
- ¼ cup whiskey
- 250g of cold butter
- 3 cups pure icing sugar
- Before you start, if you want to add the smokiness, purchase a bag of hickory or mesquite chips and follow the instructions. Ours said to soak for 25 minutes in water, drain and place in a aluminium foil tray.
- Mix together 1½ cups of gf self raising flour, ½ cup of gf plain flour, 1 cup white sugar, 150g of softened butter, ¾ cup of milk and 3 eggs.
- Also stir in the zest of 1 large orange, the juice of 1 orange and approx 1 tbsp of washed fresh thyme.
- If you want to just use your oven and leave the smokiness out, bake in a preheated oven at 140oC for approx 1 hour.
- However to add in that subtle smokiness to the cake, pour the cake batter into aluminium foil baking trays (I used 2 medium sized rectangular ones). After trial and error I highly recommend placing the trays with the hickory chips on the bbq plate and the trays with the cake batter raised off the bbq on a rack. Ours has a rack attached to the lid so it keeps it far away from the flame. Otherwise you end up with a la charchar. Cook on the lowest bbq temperature.
- To make the smoked whiskey frosting, place ¼ cup whiskey with 250g of cold butter in an aluminium tray (time to smoke some more!), and place it on the bbq, preferably on the rack, for about 10 minutes (longer if possible).
- Place in a mixing bowl with 3 cups of gf pure icing sugar and mix until fluffy.
- Once cake is cooled, decorate with frosting.