- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup minced jalapeño peppers
- 1/8 cup white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup hot (not boiling) water
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 tbsp of sugar, yeast and hot water, cover with a tea towel and let sit until the mixture starts foaming, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cheese, jalapeños, the rest of the sugar and the salt.
- Stir in the yeast mixture and oil. Use clean hands and knead the dough for about 15 minutes on a clean board lightly dusted with flour, until dough is smooth.
- Oil the bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, shape so it’s a ball, then turn over, so the top is oiled.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and set the bowl in a warm area for 1 hot, until the dough has doubled in size.
- After 1 hour, punch down the dough.
- Shape into loaves and place in greased bread pans.
- Cover with the tea towel again and let rise for another half hour.
- Preheat oven to 165C/325F. Remove tea towel and place bread in the oven.
- Turn the bread halfway through to ensure the bread is browned evenly.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, before turning out of pan. Let cool on a baking rack so the bottom doesn’t get soggy.
recipe adapted from all recipes.com