A big jug of coffee had just been set in the hearth, the seed-cakes were gone, and the dwarves were starting on a round of buttered scones, when there came- a loud knock.
– Chapter 1, An Unexpected Party; The Hobbit, J.R.R. Tolkien
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- ½ tsp bicarb soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 3 tbsp | 40g butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Sift together flour, castor sugar, bicarb soda and cream of tartar.
- Rub in butter.
- Add in buttermilk bit by bit until ‘spongy’ dough is formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface, before rolling it out.
- Cut into circles, or tear off and roll into balls and flatten slightly.
- Bake at 200oC | 392oF for 10 minutes.
Let sit for 5 minutes before using.