- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/2 cup grated swiss cheese
- cayenne to taste
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ~2 cups oil, to fry
- In a saucepan, melt the butter until it bubbles.
- Add in the flour and stir.
- Whisk the milk until it starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat, then add in the egg yolks and stir.
- Finally, add in the cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne and stir until it just melts. If too cool, place back on stove.
- Line a roasting tray with baking paper or a silicone sheet, and pour cheese mixture on to cool.
- In a deep medium sized saucepan, start to heat up the oil.
- In one bowl, whisk the egg until the white and yolk are well mixed.
- In another bowl, have the breadcrumbs ready.
- Slice the cooled cheese into strips, then dip into the crumbs, egg, then back into the crumbs again.
- The oil is ready to use when a wooden spoon is placed in the oil, and the oil starts to bubble around it.
- Place in the breaded cheese strip, fry until golden, then remove and place on a baking rack to drain.
Adapted from The Original Boston Cooking-School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer (1896)