- 24 large white button mushrooms
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp finely chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup cracker crumbs or breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Wash the mushrooms.
- Remove the stems and finely chop up.
- Add to a saucepan over medium heat, adding the butter and green onions, and saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the flour, nutmeg, parsley, salt and pepper and a splash of water if required.
- Let cool, then scoop into the mushroom caps.
- In a bowl, melt some butter, then stir in cracker crumbs.
- Spoon over the mushroom mixture, then place in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Adapted from The Original Boston Cooking-School Cookbook by Fannie Merritt Farmer (1896)
- Cook Time: 30 mins