Whip up an easy delicious batch of your favourite children’s literature treat, pop cakes, for a nostalgic trip back to your childhood.
- 2 600g eggs
- 1 cup soft plain flour (cake flour)
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of salt
- good quality creamy honey
- butter (for lining the pan)
- popover pan
- Start by preheating your oven to 230C.
- In a bowl, add in your flour, salt, then milk, then beat in the eggs until it’s just mixed and smooth.
- Melt some butter and use to generously coat the inside of each popover pan.
- Make sure your oven is nice and hot (at 230C) before placing the pan in. Let cook for 15 minutes, then decrease the oven to 175C to finish for another 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before removing from pan.
- Take a pipette and cut off the tip as it’s too narrow.
- Use the pipette to ‘pull’ up some honey, then press into the pop cake (you may want to use a sharp knife to make a small incision) and inject the honey into the pop cake. If the honey is too firm, you can soften it in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Serve straight away.
Popover recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins