- 8 granny smith apples, peeled and cored
- 3/4 cup/ 150g/ 5.3oz sugar
- 1/3 cup currants
- juice of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup/57 grams butter
- pie shell
- Place the apple slices in the pie shell and sprinkle a layer of sugar on top and a handful of currants, then repeat the layering until apples, sugar and currants are used up.
- Pour the orange juice over the apples then dab little dots of butter all over the apples.
- To finish, top the pie with lattice or strips of dough or a solid pie crust, but with a hole in the middle for ventilation.
- Bake at 450F/ 230C for the first 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350F/175C and continue baking for 45 minutes.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins