- 4 cups buckwheat flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups whole cream milk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- butter for frying
- honey or treacle (optional)
- In a mixer, whip the eggs until pale, then add in the whole cream milk.
- Pour in the sugar, then gently stir in the flour until mixed together.
- In a frying pan (we used a cast iron pan), over medium heat, add a pat of butter.
- Once melted, spoon in 2 heaped tablespoons of batter.
- Cook until you are able to flip.
- Cook for another minute or two on the other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter each time.
- Serve with honey or treacle to keep it authentic.
Since buckwheat isn’t actually a wheat, it’s related to rhubarb, this fruit seed is gluten free, meaning those with allergies can also keep this breakfast authentic.