I grew up in a family where the definition of salad was lettuce, celery, carrots, cucumber, red or green pepper (capsicum), and sometimes other vegetables like tomatoes. And still is, actually.
You had a choice between Caesar dressing and Italian dressing.
You did not get creative and try altering this combination by tossing together orange with spinach, or beans and pumpkin and try passing that off as a salad. You probably would have been stared back into the kitchen if you tried!
The funny thing is, even as an adult, having had this ‘recipe’ for salad ingrained in my brain, it can be very difficult to let go and try new combinations. And then you wonder why I roll my eyes at the word ‘salad’. If you ate the same type of salad for 20+ years every week, you’d be bored too!
Of course the best way to break this routine is to push what you’re used to. As it turns out, when you push your comfort levels, you end up with delicious bowls of pistachio spinach salad.Print
Peter Rabbit’s Pistachio Spinach Salad
- Total Time: 12 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 100 g baby spinach leaves
- fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 2 carrots, sliced with a mandolin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup sultanas or raisins
- 1/2 cup Plain greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- In a bowl toss in the washed baby spinach leaves.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a bowl mix together the pistachios, carrots, ginger, olive oil and raisins.
- Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 8 minutes, flip and roast for 4 minutes longer.
- Toss in with the spinach leaves and oregano.
For the dressing
- In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup plain yogurt and 2 tbsp maple syrup.
- Cook Time: 12 mins