- 2.5 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup | 225g unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4–1/3 cup water
- extra melted butter
Steak and kidney pie
- 500g chuck steak
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- ~1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 lamb kidneys
- Preheat oven to 200C | 400F.
- Spray a muffin pan (or mini pie pans if you have them) with cooking oil.
- In your mixer, add the flour and salt.
- Chop up the butter into small cubes. Mix into the flour and salt until it becomes a course meal texture.
- Slowly pour in the water in a slow stream. If the dough is too sticky add more flour. If too dry, add more water.
- Roll out to ⅛-inch thickness.
- Split the dough in half- one half for the base, one half for the tops.
- Use a large glass or round cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough. It’s handy to use a slightly smaller glass for the tops, but measure it against your own muffin tins.
- Press the base dough circles into the muffin tin.
- For the dough tops, cut a small opening in the centre of each and set aside.
- Cut out the white centre of the lamb kidneys and discard.
- Very finely chop up both the beef and the lamb kidneys. Mix together in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the salt and cayenne pepper over the meat and stir to distribute.
- Scoop the mixture into the muffin tins, adding a bit more in the centre to help keep the rounded pie top shape.
- When filled, pour a little red wine in.
- Press the dough tops on, and use a fork to press the edges together.
- Finish by brushing some melted butter on top of the dough.
- Pop into the hot oven and cook for ~30 minutes.
- Cook Time: 30 mins