- 1kg brown onions
- 20g butter
- ~2-3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp nutmeg
- Peel the onions and use a mandolin to slice the onions very fine.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Add in the onion, and cook until transparent (about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the onions don’t burn.
- Add boiling water to the pot, so it comes up about level to the top of the onions.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs, and quickly stir in the egg yolks (these ingredients are used to help thicken the soup).
- Stir in the nutmeg.
- Cover the pot and let simmer for about 10-15 minutes, before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins