“Fifteen men on the dead man’s chest–Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!”
-Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
This cake really should come with a warning label: Do not drive a motor vehicle or operate heavy machinery after eating.
It seems I take after my grandma’s and mom’s way of baking… 1/4 cup of rum? Pfft, make that a few more glug glug glugs instead.
- For the cake, start by mixing together the first 4 ingredients.
- Next beat in the softened butter, milk, rum, and eggs until all is incorporated and smooth. Pour into a 8″ cake pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 2.5 hours at 140oC. If baking in smaller caker pans, bake at 140oC watch and check the cake starting around the 45 minute mark.
- Cool for several hours. While cooling, mix together a rum glaze.
- In a saucepan, melt together the butter, water, white sugar, rum, and dark chocolate melts, stirring until it’s all combined. Once cake and glaze are cool, pour glaze over cake until all is used up.