‘You know what’ Ron murmured, looking over at the bar with enthusiasm. ‘We could order anything we liked in here. I bet that bloke would sell us anything, he wouldn’t care. I’ve always wanted to try Firewhiskey–‘
‘You – are – a – prefect.’ snarled Hermione.
‘Oh,’ said Ron, the smile fading from his face. ‘Yeah…’
– J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
The inspiration for Firewhisky came from a bottle of Fireball, a cinnamon flavoured whisky. While I never did get around to tasting their version, a browse online gave me some direction to make my own blend. I adjusted amounts and left out the chili, leaving me with a smooth, subtle yet spicy blend. Those more daring might enjoy adding back in the chili for a more fiery kick. Even if you’re not a fan of whisky, the addition of brown sugar and cinnamon, makes this version of Ogden’s Old Firewhisky very drinkable.
Ogden’s Olde Firewhisky recipe | Harry Potter
- Yield: 250ml 1x
- 250ml Canadian Club whiskey
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- Taking a brand new 250ml bottle of Canadian Club whisky, pour just a smidgen out of the bottle to make room for the additional ingredients.
- Place the cinnamon sticks and the brown sugar into the bottle, close the lid and shake.
- Let it rest in a dark cupboard for about a week, longer for a more intense flavour.
- Test taste and adjust sugar to your palate.
- Strain all the ingredients and pour the whisky blend back into the bottle.
This Firewhisky was inspired by the recipe on FirstWeFeast.com
Like Harry Potter recipes? You might also like:
Peppermint Toads | Harry Potter
Niffler Bread | Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
Steak and kidney pie | Harry Potter
Harry Potter Series | Treacle Tart