- 1 1/2 cup (8oz) flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 115g (4oz) of cold butter
- cold water
- Raspberry jam
- 3 medium-sized apples
- brown sugar
- Start by taking your whole apples and placing them in a pot of water. Boil for half an hour, then remove the whole apples and let cool.
- Sift together the flour and salt, before cutting the cold butter into the flour.
- Mix the flour and butter together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Then add cold water, drop by drop, and mix until a dry dough is formed.
- If you make it too wet, add more flour.
- Roll out the dough thinly and use to line pie shells.
- Spoon in raspberry jam and spread until the pie shell base is covered.
- Core and slice your apples, then layer the slices in an appealing way.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar between apple layers.
- Preheat oven to 220C/ 425F, place apple tart in the oven. Reduce heat to 175C/350F after 15 minutes and let cook for another 30-40 minutes until apples are cooked/soft and pastry is browned.
Boiling the apples whole before cooking reduces their excess moisture. Without this step, the bottom of your tart will be very liquidy and cause your pastry to be soggy.
- Cook Time: 1 hour