Peppermint humbugs might seem out of place at a feast of Honeydukes in Harry’s eyes, but any peppermint treat would do wonders as an after dinner mint.
If you’re throwing a Harry Potter party, by all means run down to the shop to grab a bag of peppermint humbugs for the table instead. But if you’d like to make your own, here’s a simple recipe. And don’t be afraid of doing the stripes– it’s not too difficult!
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup glucose syrup (corn syrup)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp food grade peppermint oil
- black gel
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water, glucose syrup and cream of tartar.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, place the thermometer in and let cook. Don't stir!
- Once the candy reaches 300F, remove from heat, pour in the peppermint oil, and give it a good stir with a wooden spoon.
- Take two silicone mats and pour half of the mixture onto one.
- In the pot with the rest of the mixture, stir in a dab of black gel.
- When well mixed, pour onto the second silicone mat.
- Pull on your candy making gloves, and start picking up and pressing the edges of the clear candy into the centre.
- Occasionally do the same for the other piece of candy, however, I also keep the silicone mat folded over to keep the heat in.
- Once you're able to pick up the clear candy, start twisting, stretching then folding the candy back in. It'll become harder to pull eventually, and the candy should be more white than translucent.
- Roll and pull out into a long strip, cut in half and play down onto the silicone mat with a good gap in between.
- Turn to the black candy, and quickly do the same if possible ( if any edges have hardened, cut or pull away from those edges and discard).
- Pull and stretch the black candy into a long length and cut in half.
- Place the pieces with the white, alternating white, black, white, black.
- Pres together gently, then start to stretch the candy.
- Take clean oiled scissors and cut. If you want the candies to be square, simply cut to size. If you want to roll them, cut the pieces longer, folder the long edge together and roll in your hands to smooth.
- Take scissors and cut into two pieces.
- Repeat until all the pieces are complete.
- If the candy starts to harden, place it in the microwave on low for 5-10 secs to slightly soften.
Like Harry Potter? You might also like to serve these as main meals at your party