Treasure Island Party: Jamaican Red Bean and Rice recipe
Author: Bryton Taylor; Food in Literature
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- ¼ cup minced white onion
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme (fresh if available)
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 whole hot red pepper (scotch bonnet is the 'common' pepper used in Jamaican cooking, but use what hot pepper you have available to you)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut oil.
- Sauté the garlic, scallion, onion and thyme until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add in the rice, beans, coconut milk, water and whole pepper.
- Stir, then leave till it comes to a boil.
- Remove the pepper and continue to cook until the liquid is almost absorbed.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer/steam until the rice has finished cooking.
- Note for serving at a party: I heated up a rice cooker at the same time and transferred the rice into it, and kept it on 'keep warm' setting.
Adapted from skinnytaste.com